1512 Eastwood Avenue
Lot 14 Cornfield's Addition
This lot changed hands a number of times before this house was completed in 1918 by Charles A. McAllister.
McAllister also built the home at 1599 Clifton Avenue. McAllister had been a partner in McAllister & Restieaux, architects and builders, though by the time this house was built, he was Vice President of the Fifth Avenue Savings Bank and a real estate dealer.
McAllister sold the house to Benjamin K. Van Korn in January 1919.
Ben Knowlton Van Korn (Von Korn) was born May 17, 1886 in Marshall, Illinois. He married Helen Bernice Bland. Helen was born May 16, 1889 in Sigourney, Iowa, daughter of William Henry and Mary Saphronia Colborn Bland. They had two sons, Benjamin Wilhelm (November 1, 1913) and Bob Bland (July 17, 1920 - July 10, 1971).
In 1918 the Van Korns lived at 9 Auburn Avenue. Ben was a commercial traveler and sales manager for Stearns-Hollinshead Company of Portland, Oregon, a chemical manufacturer that later expanded into the candy and cough drop business.
The Van Korns both died in Sigourney, Iowa. Ben on August 2, 1951 and Helen on November 13, 1972.
The Van Korns lived in the house less than a year, and sold it on August 19, 1919 to Clara McClelland with a mortgage of $3000 to McAllister's Fifth Avenue Savings Bank and a balance of $2517.60 on a separate note to McAllister.
Clara McClelland was born August 20, 1844 in Columbus, daughter of Samuel and Emeline McKee McClelland. Clara never married. She graduated from the Western Female Seminary in Oxford, Ohio in 1865. Clara was a florist and an avid horticulturalist. In 1882 she had a florist shop at 17 South High Street.
Clara's brother Henry Clay McClelland was the proprietor of the well known McClelland & Company booksellers at 67 North High Street, a Columbus institution for nearly 100 years (1881-1977). The McClelland family homestead was at (273) 321 East Broad Street.
In 1918 Clara lived at 1521 Menlo Place. Her niece, Emeline McClelland lived with her. Emeline was born July 22, 1876, daughter of Edwin Francis and Olive Anderson McClelland. In 1914, Emeline was Stenographer at the Girls' Industrial Home in Rathbone. Emeline was later a matron at the Columbus Home for the Aged at 1776 East Broad Street.
Clara died in Columbus on August 5, 1929. Emeline died October 17, 1945. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.
Clara lost the house to Sheriff's Sale. It was sold on February 28, 1925 to satisfy a debt of $2855.22 owed to The Capitol Loan Company. Benjamin F. Miller purchased the house for $6300.
Miller rented the house to the Merediths.
Thomas A. Meredith was born on May 23, 1866 in Thornville, Ohio, son of John B. And Eliza Franks Meredith. His second marriage was to Etta K. Naddy in about 1905. Etta was born about 1881 in Ohio. They had three children, Edward O. (March 10, 1909 - June 7, 1992), Mary Winona (1912), and one born before 1910 who died in infancy.
Thomas had been a farmer and a clothing merchant in Newark, Ohio (c. 1905-1925) before moving to Columbus.
In 1930 the Merediths paid $50/month for rent. Thomas was a shipping clerk for a a tire cover manufacturer, Etta was a student nurse at the Grant Hospital School of Nursing and son Edward was a nickel plater for a novelty manufacturing company. In 1933 the Merediths moved to 1497 East Long Street where they lived until about 1937. The Merediths moved to 2307 Agler Road about 1940.
Thomas died April 15, 1943. Etta died May 28, 1944. They are buried at Fairmont Cemetery in Thornville, Ohio.
Benjamin Miller sold the house on August 31, 1933 to Frances L. Gross.
In 1934 the Thomas E. and Helen Whalen rented the house. Thomas was an expressman.
Frances L. Gross sold the house to Frances Lanfersiek Morris on February 14, 1934.
Frances Lanfersiek Morris sold the house to Gus Yeager on May 4, 1934.
In 1935, the divorced Erma Peters lived here.
Horace Peters was born in Allentown, Pennsylvania, son of Ambrose F. and Helena Miller Pavey Peters. He married Erma Lea Fahrson in Franklin County on April 22, 1921. Erma was born January 8, 1902 in Ashland, Kentucky, daughter of Henry and Alice M. Layne Fahrson. They had three children: Horace A., Jr. (November 15, 1921 - February 4,1969), Richard G. (1923), Jean H. (1925).
In 1930 the Peters lived at 1573 East Long Street. Horace was am embalmer for Schoedinger & Company. (By 1959 he was Vice President and General Manager of Schoedinger & Company). In 1931 the Peters lived at 1520 Menlo Place. In 1933 they lived at 1540 East Long Street. The Peters divorced about 1934. Erma later married Charles Wits and she and the children moved to Los Angeles, California before 1940.
Also in 1935, Mildred R. Himes lived at the house. She worked as a clerk in the grocery of Charles F. Himes at 115 Taylor Avenue.
In 1936, Rose L. McCloy lived at the house. Rose worked as a maid.
The Yeagers sold the house to the Bebbs on September 5, 1936.
The Bebbs then lived at 1424 Eastwood Avenue on the west side of Taylor Avenue.
In 1937 the divorced Charlotte Lappen, a private secretary at Otis & Co. rented the house. Charlotte was born January 8, 1916 in Logan, Ohio. She married Howard B. Grubb in Franklin County on November 23, 1938.
In 1938 and until about September 1939 the Sadouskys rented the house.
Leo Sadousky was born July 4, 1893 in Samyatich, Russia, son of Udel "Julius" Sadousky. He married the divorced Celia Foreman in Franklin County on August 4, 1915. Celia was born March 15, 1893 in Russia, daughter of Joe and Celia Valio Foreman. They had two daughters, Edythe (September 27, 1916 - March 30, 1991) and Sylvia (1921).
Leo came to Columbus about 1914. In 1917 the Sadouskys lived at 719 East Fulton Street. Leo was a shoemaker and in 1917 owned a shoe store at 247 East Long Street, and later at 257 and 258 East Long Street. In 1938 his shop was at 974 Mt. Vernon Avenue. In 1940, Edythe was a secretary for a finance company and Sylvia was a manager of a retail store (The Cotton Shop, womens' clothing, 50 and 148 North High Street).
The Sadouskys returned to their previous home at 719 East Fulton Street in about September 1939. In October their two daughters traveled to New York City to visit the World's Fair.
Leo died April 3, 1948. Celia died August 14, 1984. They are buried at (New Beth Jacob) New Agudas Achim Cemetery.
In about 1941 the Bebbs moved here from 1424 Eastwood Avenue.
James Orlando Bebb was born November 29, 1887 in Vendocia, Ohio, son of Welsh parents, William John and Elizabeth Goodwin Bebb. He married Frances A. Savage in Franklin County on May 24, 1916. Frances was born September 22, 1891 in Meigs County, Ohio, daughter of C.W. and Lucy Maloy Savage.
The Bebbs came to Columbus as early as 1904. Orlando's brother William J. Bebb, Jr. was a general contractor and President of the Ohio State Association of Builders Exchange and Vice President of the Columbus Builders and Traders Exchange.
Orlando worked as a plumber with his older brother Goodwin Lewis Bebb. Their shop was at 614 East Long Street in 1917. His brother died of a gunshot wound to the thorax on October 18, 1929 at 169 Cleveland Avenue. The coroner was unable to determine if his death was suicide or a homicide. Orlando continued to operate the plumbing business after his brother's death. Orlando was a short man with red hair and blue eyes.
Orlando died June 29, 1966. Frances died January 8, 1971. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.
The Bebbs sold the house to James V. and Geraldine M. "Gerry" Davis on November 9, 1948.
Before moving here, the Davises lived at 246 Allen Avenue. When they sold this house they moved to 56 South Champion Avenue. In 1960 the Davises lived at 6245 Clark State Road and James was then a clerk at the Fulton Street Market.
On July 3, 1951 the Davises sold the house to the Parks.
James Darry Parks, Jr. was was born January 17, 1923 in Atlanta, Georgia, son of James Darry and Lulu Sims Parks. James married twice and both his wives were named Pauline. He married Pauline Davis in Clark County on December 23, 1943. They married on Pauline's 16th birthday. Pauline was born December 23, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, daughter of Alex and Fannie Maxwell Davis. They were divorced before 1948.
On June 20, 1948, James married Pauline N. Dotson in Franklin County. Pauline was born May 5, 1929 in Gallipolis (Bidwell), Ohio, daughter of Dixie and Geraldine Borden Dotson. They had four children: Darry James (March 11, 1949), Paula, Brenda and Sparkle Ann (1966).
The Parks moved from Atlanta, Georgia to Columbus about 1925. The family lived at 195 Garfield Avenue in 1940. In 1943, James was in the U.S. Marines.
In 1948, James was a city fireman and living at 451 South Monroe Avenue. Pauline then lived at 185-187 North 20th Street, her parents' home that she owned until her death.
Pauline's obituary says, "...Pauline devoted her life to helping others and raising children of all walks of life. She loved to cook big meals for her family on special occasions and enjoyed watching the Food Network on television. On the weekends, she enjoyed antiquing and loved visiting garage sales. Pauline gave her life to Christ at an early age and was an active member of First Church of God where she served on the Culinary Ministry serving funerals and the weekly lunch program to senior citizens..."
The Parks purchased 1571 Hawthorne Park in September 1963. They may have known then that the Board of Education had plans to clear the block and was buying the properties north of East High School.
The Parks also owned 1558 East Long Street, which they purchased in October 1980. This home is immediately south of 1571 Hawthorne Park.
James and Pauline were divorced in Columbus on August 25, 1987. It appears that when they split the property, James kept the Hawthorne Park house and Pauline the 1588 East Long Street house.
James died in Columbus on May 25, 1996. He is buried at Eastlawn Cemetery. Pauline died September 23, 2012.
The Parks sold this house to the Board of Education on February 23, 1967. This house was demolished for the expansion of East High School.
- Broad Street
- Brunson Place
- Callender Avenue
- Clifton Avenue
- Eastwood Avenue
- Eldridge Avenue
- Emerald Avenue
- Granville Street
- Greenway Avenue
- Harvard Avenue
- Hawthorne Avenue
- Hawthorne Park
- Long Street
- Maryland Avenue
- Menlo Place
- Monypeny Avenue
- Mt. Vernon Avenue
- Parkwood Avenue
- Pembroke Avenue
- Richmond Avenue
- Taylor Avenue
- Vogel Avenue
- 44 Woodland Avenue
- 45 Woodland Avenue
- 71 Woodland Avenue
- 93 Woodland Avenue
- 105 Woodland Avenue
- 156 Woodland Avenue
- 190 Woodland Avenue
- 205 Woodland Avenue
- 213 Woodland Avenue
- 214 Woodland Avenue
- 254 Woodland Avenue
- 263 Woodland Avenue
- 264 Woodland Avenue
- 282 Woodland Avenue
- 283 Woodland Avenue
- 298 Woodland Avenue
- 391 Woodland Avenue
- 402 Woodland Avenue
- Adjacent Areas
Updated sporadically and as time permits. Some files are being transferred and updated from the original blog, still available at www.dornberghouse.blogspot.com
Some pages in progress may be temporarily inaccessible or password protected.
Some pages in progress may be temporarily inaccessible or password protected.