This street was named for Philip Henry Vogel, one of the trustees of D.D. Bolenbaugh, the subdividers of this parcel in 1902.
Philip H. Vogel was born April 5, 1855 in Franklin County, son of French-born parents, Andrew and Barbara Schwartz Vogel.
In 1901 Vogel operated a dry goods store (dry goods, notions, men's furnishings, lace curtains and draperies) at 246-248 East Main Street. Vogel was later President of the Columbus Vending Company. The company manufactured vending machines from 1910 to 1957 at a factory located at 510 Harlow Street. This factory was previously the Art Metal Company and in 1910 was manufacturing electric side and tail lamps for automobiles.
Vogel died in Columbus on February 23, 1932.
The 1950 Sanborn Fire Insurance map notes that this street was still unpaved.