1521 Hawthorne Avenue
Lot 15 L.B. Tussing Trustee Subdivision
James J. Dolan purchased the property from L. B. Tussing for $750 on October 31, 1904. Dolan was a carpenter and probably completed this house in 1906.
William E. (Josephine B.) Moling purchased the house for $900 on September 6, 1906 including a balance due on a mortgage of $450.
In 1908 and 1909 Martha J. Kelsey rented the house and lived here with her son and daughter.
Martha Jane Camp was born June 16, 1850 in Hanover, Ohio, daughter of Isaac and Alcinda Evans Camp. She first married Dr. James Bukey (August 10, 1846 - June 10, 1885). They had three children: Theresa (May 9, 1875 - 1963), Jeanette V. "Nettie" (January 10, 1879 - August 28, 1949) and James Frederick "Fred" (October 7, 1884 - January 20, 1962). Martha's second marriage was to James Kelsey (February 1863 - September 12, 1903) in Newark, Ohio on July 27, 1887. The Kelseys with Fred had moved from Newark to Cambridge, Ohio in about April 1903. According to the Newark newspaper, Kelsey was "one of the most popular" B&O Railroad engineers. He died from injuries in a head-on train collision in Cambridge on September 12, 1903.
Theresa moved to Columbus about 1898. Martha and Fred moved to Columbus about 1904.
In 1908, Fred was a clerk and collector for an ice company and Theresa worked as a stenographer at a law office.
In 1910 the family moved to 402 East 15th Avenue.
In 1918 Fred was a stenographer and bill clerk for the C.D. Cussins Company. By 1920, Martha and Fred were living in Lakewood, Ohio, where Fred was a clerk for an auto parts shop.
Martha died in Lakewood in October 4, 1934. Fred died in Cleveland on January 20, 1962. Theresa died in Greenwich, Connecticut on August 10, 1963. They are buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Newark, Ohio.
From 1910 through 1916 the Kurtz rented the house.
Charles Jewett Kurtz was born July 10, 1885 in Athens, Ohio, son of Charles Lindley and Anna Belle Jewett Kurtz.
He married Maybelle Bradley in Franklin County on August 25, 1909. Maybelle was born May 16, 1886 in Ohio, daughter of Harvey Stone "Harry" and Helen Forestall Bradley. They had three children: Charles J., Jr., (November 1, 1910 - January 5, 1986), James F. (1904), and Mary Virginia (1906).
Before moving here, Charles lived with his parents at 1529 East Broad Street. Charles was Secretary and Treasurer of his father's firm, The Guanajuato Reduction and Mines Company.
In 1915, Charles Lindley Kurtz was President of the Keever Starch company. Mr. Kurtz was president of the Columbus Railway, Power & Light Company from January, 1919, until 1925. In 1903 he assisted in the organization of the Scioto Stone Company, Keever Starch Company, and Guanajuoto Reduction and Mining Company, and served as president of these companies from their inception until his death in 1929.
By 1920 Charles was the General Manager of the Keever Starch Company. The Keever Starch Company was founded in 1893 and was in business through 1972. From 1902, the plant was located on Parson Avenue. In 1930 he was Vice President of Keever Starch and in 1940, Charles was President. They then (1942) lived at lived at 1567 East Long Street.
Charles died May 1, 1963. Maybelle died January 3, 1978. They are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.
About 1917 the Burgess' lived here.
Philip Burgess was born December 1, 1876 in Newtonville, Massachusetts, son of Charles A. and Adelaide "Addie" L. Kimball Burgess. He married Amy Henrietta Jones in Franklin County on June 26, 1913. Amy was born September 30, 1887 in Granville, Ohio, daughter of Otto S. and Georgianna Williams Jones. They had four children a stillborn male (2 Jun 1914), a stillborn female (22 Jun 1915), Anne (1921) and Philip, Jr. (July 4, 1923 - January 1975).
In 1915 and 1916 the Burgesses lived at 1553 Clifton Avenue, where they had moved from 1044 East Long Street.
Philip received his engineering degree from MIT in 1899. Between 1906 and 1907, Burgess conducted a survey of Ohio's water treatment plants as a special engineer for the State Board of Health. The report that resulted from the survey was the first definitive evaluation of the performance of the 27 treatment plants that had been built between 1895 and 1907. The result of this work was a clear case for the need for purification plants where raw surface water was to be used as the domestic water supply.
In 1909 Philip was in the partnership of Burgess, Kimberly and Long. The Longs purchased 1543 Hawthorne Avenue in 1924. In 1920, the partnership between Burgess and Charles F. Long was dissolved and Burgess partnered with Chester A. Niple and Warren F. Hopkins, establishing the now well known firm Burgess & Niple. Burgess also was city engineer for Grandview Heights.
In 1935 and 1936 Philip was President of the Burnip Construction Company. Burgess apparently split his time between Granville, Ohio and Columbus in the 1930s, having a home at 272 South Drexel in Bexley.
In 1944 lived at 1544 Hawthorne Avenue.
Philip died November 22, 1972.
The Burgesses transferred the house on April 14, 1925 to Amy's mother, Georgianna Jones.
- Broad Street
- Brunson Place
- Callender Avenue
- Clifton Avenue
- Eastwood Avenue
- Eldridge Avenue
- Emerald Avenue
- Granville Street
- Greenway Avenue
- Harvard Avenue
- Hawthorne Avenue
- Hawthorne Park
- Long Street
- Maryland Avenue
- Menlo Place
- Monypeny Avenue
- Mt. Vernon Avenue
- Parkwood Avenue
- Pembroke Avenue
- Richmond Avenue
- Taylor Avenue
- Vogel Avenue
- 44 Woodland Avenue
- 45 Woodland Avenue
- 71 Woodland Avenue
- 93 Woodland Avenue
- 105 Woodland Avenue
- 156 Woodland Avenue
- 190 Woodland Avenue
- 205 Woodland Avenue
- 213 Woodland Avenue
- 214 Woodland Avenue
- 254 Woodland Avenue
- 263 Woodland Avenue
- 264 Woodland Avenue
- 282 Woodland Avenue
- 283 Woodland Avenue
- 298 Woodland Avenue
- 391 Woodland Avenue
- 402 Woodland Avenue
- Adjacent Areas