Charles E. Munson's Woodland Avenue Addition
Charles E. Munson was born December 11, 1850 in Zanesville, Ohio, son of Horace D. and Masranda Dwight Munson. He married Mary G. Peabody in Muskingum County, Ohio on March 26, 1874. Mary was born February 22, 1853 in Baltimore, Maryland, daughter of Jeremiah D. and Rosalba E. Beall Peabody. They had a son, George Peabody "Georgie" (June 17, 1877 - April 8, 1884)
Munson commissioned Woodland Park resident May Cook to sculpt a fountain in memory of his son, George, who died of scarlet fever. This sculpture is the "Peter Pan" that graces the fountain in front of the Columbus Metropolitan Library downtown. The fountain It consists of a bronze statue of a Peter Pan playing a flute above six spouting fish. A bronze plaque says “For the children of Columbus. In memory of George Peabody Munson, aged 6.”
Munson, of Zanesville, was president of the Columbus Pharmacal Company, manufacturers of physicians supplies and artificial limbs. He lived at 450 East Broad Street.
Mary died October 5, 1920. Munson didn't live to see the dedication of the fountain on May 18, 1928. He died on November 27, 1927. The Munsons are buried at Greenlawn Cemetery.
The Columbus Dispatch, May 18, 2012, By Gerald Tebben, "A dying father’s grief over the death of his only son more than 40 years before is expressed in a fountain in front of the Columbus Metropolitan Library.
The 15-foot-tall fountain at the Main Library Downtown was dedicated on May 18, 1928. It consists of a bronze statue of a Peter Pan playing a flute above six spouting fish. A bronze plaque says “For the children of Columbus. In memory of George Peabody Munson, aged 6.”
George died on April 8, 1884. His father, Charles E. Munson, died just a few months before the fountain was dedicated. John Pugh, city librarian, disclosed plans for the fountain the day after Charles Munson’s death.
Though little has been recorded about the boy or how he died, his father was known for his generosity.
Charles Munson died from heart disease at age 76. He and his wife, who died several years earlier, had no surviving children. Mr. Munson was president of the Columbus Pharmacal Co., now Roxane Laboratories; vice president of People’s Savings Association; and somewhat of a father figure to many children of Columbus.
The Columbus Citizen reported, “Thousands of boys have been helped by Mr. Munson during the many years he has been aiding various organizations by his time, money and talents.”
He was an organizer and early president of the YMCA, a board member of Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church and was involved with White Cross (now Riverside) Hospital, South Side Settlement House and the tuberculosis society.
“The Deceased had always taken a special interest in young men and assisted many in getting through college and getting started in business,”The Dispatch reported.
About 700 children attended the fountain dedication.
Sculptor Mae (Mary Elizabeth) Cook designed the statue and had asked her friend Rita Pfeiffer to allow her 10-year-old son, Richard, to pose for the sculpture.
Richard Pfeifer later recalled that he posed for only part of the statue — “my legs and hind end.”
Columbus Pharmcal Company
From the History of Franklin County, Ohio, Moore, 1930, "The Columbus Pharmacal Company, now located in its own property at 326-336 Oak Street, originated in the S. E. Samuels Drug Company, which, during the sixties, was located on the west side of High Street, between Long and Gay Streets. Charles R. Cornell, becoming associated in the selling department of the Samuels Company, later together with B. H. Pheneger, a pharmacist of Delaware, and L. J. Stabler, a chemist, formed a partnership, known as the Cornell-Pheneger Bros. In 1876 this company was reorganized as the Cornell-Pheneger Chemical Company, with a capital stock of $25,000, and removed to quarters at 90 North High Street.
It was at this time that W. T. Wells made a connection as salesman with the company. Ten years later, or in 1886, the company was again reorganized as the Columbus Pharmacal Company, and its capital increased to $100,000. At this time W. T. Wells was made president and general manager of the company in which capacity he continued until his death in 1911.
About 1895, the company requiring larger quarters, was removed to 63-67 East Long Street. Soon after this its capital was increased to $200,000 and its business greatly extended, so that at this time it established a complete retail business in connection with its laboratories and physicians' supply business, and also established manufacturing optical and hospital furniture supplies departments. It continued at this address until 1914, when it was removed to its own plant at the present address.
At the death of Mr. Wells in 1911, Charles E. Munson became president of the company and served in that capacity until his death in November, 1927. Mr. Munson was succeeded by the vice president and manager, Mr. J. W. Haynie, who officiated until his death, October, 1928.
During 1910 the entire retail and supply business was sold. All of the manufacturing departments having been disposed of before this date, the company retained only its laboratories and the printing department, and since that time has directed its efforts to the manufacture of a complete line of specialties and pharmaceutical products exclusively for the physician. The growth of its business was such that in 1923 the capital was increased from $200,000 to $500,000.
There are two factors in which the company is rather distinctive. If not the first, it was among the very first to solicit outside of the local territory the direct business of the dispensing physician and accepting his account ; and at this time it is one of the very few companies producing a complete line of pharmaceuticals for the exclusive use of the practicing physician and depending entirely on his patronage for the distribution of its products.
The present (1930) officers of the Columbus Pharmacal Company are: F. A. Rostofer, president and general manager; W. H. Grigsby, vice president and treasurer ; W. H. Whitford, vice president ; J. E. Hische, vice president ; and C. R. Hambleton, secretary."
- Broad Street
- Brunson Place
- Callender Avenue
- Clifton Avenue
- Eastwood Avenue
- Eldridge Avenue
- Emerald Avenue
- Granville Street
- Greenway Avenue
- Harvard Avenue
- Hawthorne Avenue
- Hawthorne Park
- Long Street
- Maryland Avenue
- Menlo Place
- Monypeny Avenue
- Mt. Vernon Avenue
- Parkwood Avenue
- Pembroke Avenue
- Richmond Avenue
- Taylor Avenue
- Vogel Avenue
- 44 Woodland Avenue
- 45 Woodland Avenue
- 71 Woodland Avenue
- 93 Woodland Avenue
- 105 Woodland Avenue
- 156 Woodland Avenue
- 190 Woodland Avenue
- 205 Woodland Avenue
- 213 Woodland Avenue
- 214 Woodland Avenue
- 254 Woodland Avenue
- 263 Woodland Avenue
- 264 Woodland Avenue
- 282 Woodland Avenue
- 283 Woodland Avenue
- 298 Woodland Avenue
- 391 Woodland Avenue
- 402 Woodland Avenue
- Adjacent Areas